Monday, December 7, 2009

Conferences and alcohol.

I had not blogged about the conferences we've been to the last month or so. In late October I was in Canberra with Z and Boss M at the Evolution meeting. That was a fun one. A big conference, with mostly Aussies, but a handful of big international names too. My favorites were the Helsinki plenary and Simon Ho (of course), who's recently moved back to University of Sydney. Another special thing about this conference is more time spent drinking alcohol with the lab and other scientists. After getting lost for a time Boss M and I found the famed 'Wig and Pen' in Canberra Centre. That night was possibly the most amount of beer I've drank. 3 bottles, a singapore sling and 2 glasses of wine. Good times.

I went to New Zealand by myself just last week to attend another conference. NZ is still cold this summer season down under, and of course alcohol consumption is still a central part like any conference :P It wasn't as much fun to attend conferences by myself than it is when it is with the lab. But I did meet some interesting people there. And I wouldn't mind living in NZ too, now I've been there twice (once in the South Island and now in the North Island) . I really like the climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment